Due to the epidemiological situation and the extension of the state of emergency, the awarding of the Košice Self-Governing Region awards, which is regularly associated with a ceremonial, has been moved from December 2020 to 4 September 2021. The gala evening took place at the State Theater in Košice. 19 personalities and 2 teams from the Košice region have received awards.
The honorary award of the president of the Košice Self-Governing Region was won by the team of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering for innovations of the research and production program for equipment and aids for the fight against coronavirus.
The award from the president of the region Rastislav Trnka was handed over to the Dean of Faculty of Mechanical Engineering prof. Jozef Živčák. Several main reasons for awarding the award were highlighted:
- rapid reaction of the Faculty to the situation associated with the pandemic,
- research, development and production of coronavirus protection equipment,
- establishment of the Innovation Center for the development of respirators and other protective equipment,
- significant contribution to protection of the health of those who fought in the front line during the pandemic,
- development of an electric reactor that creates sterile clean air and destroys all bacteria.